Friday, April 15, 2011

Cane

I have always had a great interest canes and walking sticks.  Something about them just kind of speaks to me. In most cases they serve a purpose, but also they say something about the person who uses it.  Often you can tell a great deal about the person, simply by looking at their walking stick.  The most basic is height.  I always heard that my great grandfather was a tall man, He measured in at about 6 feet 2 inches. Something that was confirmed when we found his cane a few years ago when my grandparents moved.

The first cane I ever made was for my Granny. I have made about a dozen since then. When I broke both my feet 3 years ago I made my own cane to use while I recovered. They are not hard to make for most people. You only need basic tools and materials. For someone like myself who has a shop set up and formal training it is easy.  The canes I have made ranged from my first one that was a stick with a brass handle, to one made up of turned segments. What I like most about them is that they are simple, but the range of things you can do while making them are almost limitless.

No comments:

Post a Comment