Saturday, January 15, 2011

Journal Writing

This past week I started a new college program, Pre-Health. It is a program that is offered for students who are looking into taking a health science program and are not sure what area they would like to enter. I myself am taking it because I applied and could not get into my first choice, practical nursing, and taking pre-health knocks off some of the courses I need to take when I do get in. Many of the students are looking at becoming nurses and paramedics , but we do have members who wish to becoming massage therapists, veterinary assistants, and one or two lab assistants.

In my math for life sciences course the teacher asked us to write a math journal. She told us this is for her own use so that she is able to get a better idea of where we are as a new class. This first math class is designed so that she is able to adjust it to match where we are as a class so that no one is left behind because it is to advanced. By the end of the term we all will be at the level we need to be in order to pass the exam and do well in what ever we plan on going into later.

I found the writing of this single journal entry about my history and comfort level with math fairly easy. Along with this blog I also write in a personal journal, and write for a few other things as well. The act of journal writing has become part of my day to day life and I find it to be very helpful and calming. Having a journal helps me to organize my thoughts and keep a record of this I would like to remember.

I started journal writing as most young people do, it was part of my school work. When I graduated from school it was something that a moved away from. I only came back to it later after I had a accident and was left immobile for about three months because I had broken bones in my feet and was told to stay off them. In that time I rediscovered the love that I had for journaling and I have kept it up since then.

As  a hobby I find journaling to be very easy and practical. Yes, journals you find in some stores can be expensive, but there is nothing saying you need to buy them. All you really need to use is what you find most comfortable. Some people like to use fancy journals with nice paper and write with fancy pens. Other like to use cheap school type note books and what ever writing tool they have on hand. A growing number are writing journals on computers. Some in the form of blogs, others simply save the entries in a passworded file folder on there hard drive. When I ever I talk to people about journaling I always like to end off saying that journaling is about nothing more then doing it. The how and way do not matter as much as the simple act of doing it.        

No comments:

Post a Comment