Saturday, January 22, 2011

eReading

I recently got an ereader as a gift. Since then I have had people asking me what I think of it.

First off the content is the same, but the medium is very different. I have never had an issue with glare, but with lack of light. I have found that the ereader requires better lighting then a paper book does. This was a bit of a shock. Before I got the reader I watched a news report about how they work. They use something that they refer to as "digital ink". They able to power by using this ink and not a normal computer type screen. Moving this ink around when the page changes requires power, but it uses very little to maintain the image on the screen.

I have also had people ask me about viewing pdf format files on it. I think it works well for that, but it you were planing to do a lot of that kind of think you would want to get one with a larger screen.

I have not fully made the switch to using the ereader full, but I see it happening in the near future. I am taking a  train trip later in the year and I am planning to take it alone as my reading.

There is a list of what I feel the pros and cons are.

Pros
  • lighter then most books.
  • Able to keep an entire library on it.
  • Able to get new content as long as you have Wi Fi excess 
  • much harder to lose place
  • adjustable text size
  • easier reading
Cons- 
  • requires charging
  • huge loss if damaged  
  • needs better light then reading paper book 

    No comments:

    Post a Comment