Saturday, January 8, 2011

Cyborg

cy·borg

  [sahy-bawrg]  Show IPA
–noun
a person whose physiological functioning is aided by or dependent upon a mechanical or electronic device.


    I often find myself thinking about the nature of where people end and technology starts. I myself rely heavily on my laptop for writing and a great many other things I do every day. Now few people would say that this in some way makes me a cyborg, but allow me to go farther into other devices that are used every day that could make people cyborgs.

    Recently my Grandfather was fitted for a pair of hearing aids. He still could hear, but not very well and the hearing aids allow him to hear as well as most people. He could live without hearing aids. People who can not hear live full lives, as do people who can not see. But for those who do use hearing aids, or glasses have their lives improved and the life they have relys on the use of those devices. Clearer examples of this is people who are missing limbs and are fitted with replacements, people who have pacemakers or mechanical valves placed into their hearts The technology in these devices is the example of what a cyborg is.

Anyone who has any thoughts on this subject, I would love to hear peoples thoughts.    

No comments:

Post a Comment