Friday, July 29, 2011

Steampunk

I have recently "rediscovered" my interest in the steampunk subculture. Maybe rediscovered is not the best word because I never really lost it. It is more that I forgot that it had a name. I was raised in a very strong DIY environment, and in fact was exposed to the wonders of steam technology almost from birth. I learned early on that steam as compared to diesel or gasoline is much quieter. I fact that really came into my life when I worked on a ship that had been converted from steam to diesel. The noise and vibration that was made was more then I could stand. many ways what had happened with that ship was what I had done to myself. I had made a change that I thought was for the better, and in some ways it was, but in others it was much worse.


Right now I am working to regain the DIY mind set that I had lost. I am currently making a set of screwdrivers that I have been meaning to make for over a year now. Rather they simply making them plain and boring I am trying to make them in true streampunk style and add a degree of art and craftsman's flair. I am feeling good about it. The end result will be something I can be very proud of and maybe pass on to my children or grandchild as some of my tools were passed down to me.  

No comments:

Post a Comment