Tuesday, November 23, 2010

Inner Compass

      In my life I have been a few different things at a few different times. When i was younger i was a child and a student. I was a little better at the first then the second. As I got older I made the change from being a child to being an adult. I went from being a scout, to being a scout leader. I went from being a passenger to being a driver. I went from being a student, to being a member of the work force. As i member of the work force I found that at times I was the teacher instructing a student.   Most changes in life only go one way. But now i find I am becoming a student once more.

     In the new year I will be starting back to school once again. This time it will not be in a "safe" program. When I went to college before I took woodworking. It was a trade I have a fair degree of skill in and made me happy when I was going through high school and I worked in for a few years after college. Sadly I never found happiness working in the field. Industry takes such things and whittles them down until all that matters is money. Before long you find that what once brought you the greatest joy is only full of sadness. Then you get to a point where even the money is not worth it. You work hard and you can not even make the money you will need to move out of your parents basement and make a life with the person you love.
      So i moved on to retrain. but sadly at that time I had not taken  in the full scope of what the bast years of working had to teach me. I went to retrain in a field I had no interest in and really only hoped it would make me lots of money. I began a college program in marine navigation. I loved the schooling. I enjoyed going to class and  doing well. I had never done well in school before. The years of being in the work force had shown me that I could do anything I set my mind to. Even in an area like school where I had barely scraped by before. It was that joy I got from doing well that blinded me to the fact it is a career that would take me away from the very thing I was working to have, a life with my only true love. If I had kept on I would have maybe see her and any future family we may have 4 times a year, and I would miss most every major event. So a moved on with one year of train that means little on paper, but a great deal for my self image.
   Come January when I start school in  Nursing. A field I wanted to enter when i was younger, but self doubt made me think I could never succeed. I will do so with a strong will and  the knowledge that I can do what ever I set my mind to as long as it is where my inner compass points.

No comments:

Post a Comment